- the administration has determined that the designation of “sex” in Title IX protections also includes gender identity, which means that if public schools don’t comply with these protections, they lose federal funding
- transgender students are only required to have their parent or guardian contact the school district to notify them that their identity differs from what is previously on record
- these students do not need to provide a medical diagnosis, identification documents, or any other information regarding their transition
- transgender students must be accommodated even when it makes others students uncomfortable
- transgender students can be offered the use of single stall restrooms, but if other students are not required to use them, then they aren’t required, either, and specifically mentions that if a student is uncomfortable sharing a restroom with a transgender person they can be offered a single stall restroom
- these protections also cover correct pronoun use as well, along with other guidelines
if you live in north carolina this is extremely relevant to you because it virtually overrides house bill 2 for transgender students.
thank you so much for this, president obama.
Signal boost, very important stuff!